An 80's Wedding


One year ago today, Andrea Larson and I loaded up her Subaru Forester, two dogs and clothes. Mine were recently ironed and hung neatly on a hanger. Hers were hidden, in one of those fancy dry cleaning bags. I was to be surprised at its contents. Our little family piled in and made the trek from Hillsboro, Oregon to the Mt. Tabor neighborhood in Portland; about fifteen miles away. 
The day was a scorcher, no clouds would survive the heat, and the day would change our lives.
Our friends Dan and Nicole had offered us their house and backyard for the days events and when we arrived at their home, it was neatly decorated. There was a mini chalk board with our names written along with the date, August 20th, 2011 in the back yard, next to a card table. The trees had little penguins (my favorite animal) in them and the back yard had folding chairs. I pitied those that had to sit in those chairs but was rather happy that we wouldn’t be outside long.  This wouldn’t take long.
Inside, an impressive spread of mostly vegetarian food awaited and, starved, I snuck a bite of food, before I shooed away by Nicole and told to get dressed. I did as I was told.
I was wearing a striped shirt with a red bull dog on it, black slacks and my red high top Chuck Taylors. I waited in the living and greeted guests. The Stocktons, the Bymas, the Bartons and our hosts. These were all the guests we needed (not to mention a pug in a tux and a dog named Mars in a bow tie). All were dressed in 80’s themed outfits, as per our request.  Mrs Nachtagal showed up and gave me some papers to sign.  I gave her a hundred dollars and asked her to make herself comfortable.
By now, all the guests had arrived. Congratulations were shared, gifts were placed on a table and then my angel came out, dressed in a beautiful red dress, which showed off her ample bosom and perfect legs in a classy and sexy way (classy and sexy are the perfect words to describe her). I felt a lump in my throat and had trouble catching my breath. Next, Baby and Bella, our dogs, came out, dressed in little white wedding dresses, complete with veils. I cued the music for Dan. Can’t help falling in love for the processional, Solsbury Hill for the recessional.
I got suddenly nervous.
Andrea and I stood at the end of the driveway with our dogs, each with a matching red leash. The music started and we walked to slow methodical march up the drive way. Sweat was already pouring down my shirt, off my face and into my eyes. I had a smile. A big one that I couldn’t wipe away, even if I’d wanted to. We made the march up to Mrs. Nachtagal, who was now wearing the unpleasant black robes of a judge, made even more unpleasant, I imagine, by the relentless heat. I’m sure the ceremony would be quick.
Nicky, my best man, took our dogs, the Judge reads us our vows. Andrea and I kissed, we signed some papers, we ate, we danced (we even have special dance moves for Private Eyes by Hall and Oates), we enjoyed our friends. We were married. I was (and am) the luckiest man on earth.

We knew we’d get married the instant we met. It was a love connection unlike any either of us had ever experienced. We’d both been married before to spouses that were not right for us. Nicky, the drummer for the band I was playing with at the time, had just moved from Bellingham, Washington, Andrea’s home town and had told me about her. He’d told her about me as well, she stalked me on facebook, she liked what she saw and read. And the rest, as they say, is history.
We officially met on New Year’s Eve 2010, I picked her up at the train station, after a couple weeks of talking on the phone, we fell in in love, in April she moved to Portland, in July I proposed and in August we were married. We knew what we wanted. We knew we’d get married, so why wait?
This story is told in more depth here.
It’s been a trying year for us, but having each other has made all the difference. We are both so very in love and pleased to love each other that all the issues in our lives, outside of our home, are greatly minimized.
So to you, Andrea, my darling, Happy one year anniversary. I love you with all my heart and I hope for 100 more years of bliss.
Sincerely,

Your husband, Justin  William Price.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! Congratulations and best wishes to you both. I enjoyed the dance video. Your fellow hubber, Cristina Maria A.K.A. CrisSp~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful love story.

      Happy First Anniversary!

      Delete
  2. Susan and Chris, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your comments. I'm pleased that you were moved by this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just passed by and was touched and so moved by this piece that came straight from your heart. I've never heard a man speak his heart out this way.. Congrats to you both!! Regards, Kaberi Chatterjee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you anonymous. more men should speak their feelings. our women very much appreciate it :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Turn or Burn?