Last Train to Belingham


In honor of Valentine's day (A Day Late) Here's a poem I wrote for my wife, before we were married. i hope you enjoy it!


Last Train to Bellingham

Again
the train is stopped.
Sixty miles out of Portland
and we've been stopped
for thirty minutes.
Now we're going again,
and now we're stopped
again.
We're letting another freight train pass.


Three kids next to me-
(oh, Lord God, bless their mother)
The crunching of a potato chip bag,
nickels flung against my chair,
disobedient little monsters!
I scowl at them not hiding my contempt.
Their mother looks
(tired)
at me,
ready to leave the
little monsters on the train.

A bag of chips just exploded next to me.
They are all over the floor.
The carpet is greasy and crumby.
I don't help pick up.
The bag was exploded by Dylan Thomas.
The eldest- a girl-
left her books
in the locker at the train station.
I'd kill for a cigarette.



I like the train whistle-
and the guy with the disheveled pink hair
and pink scarf and
lime green shirt and
corduroy jacket-
and the teriyaki chicken
rice bowl
I had for dinner-
and Puget Sound out the window
to my right-
and the book I'm trying to read between
prepubescent outbursts.

I'm glad that I'm not driving.
Again.
It's 5:00- rush hour-
and if I were driving
I'd still be stopped
in that asphalt gridlock, nicknamed “Seattle.”
But at least now I can have beer.

Oh, my darling
I love you so.
Tomorrow we move you to Portland.
and I'll be driving the U-Haul
past these same rail lines.
Stuck in traffic-
and wishing for three little monsters
instead of traffic jams.
And never will I have to make this trip
without you.
Again.

View the original here, along with many of my other poems.

Comments

  1. Lovely write Justin! Tender and sweet! Do you know about Dverse Poets and PoetsUnited?

    @AudreyHowitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey, I don't. Thanks for commenting here. Tell me more about those! I'm always lookin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Turn or Burn?