Happpy Anniversary darling!

My wife and I went on our first date one year ago today. Obviously, the fact that I called her “wife” means we connected and, in the words of Ron Burgundy things “escalated quickly.” Here’s what happened.
In September of last year, the band I was playing in (Who shall remain nameless. They do not need nor deserve a mention in this positive story. That’s another story…) got a new drummer, Nicky. He and his wife had just moved to Portland from Bellingham, Washington. We became fast friends.
Fast forward to December of 2010, setting up for band practice, Nicky tells me that he knows a girl who wants to meet me.
“How does she know of me?”
“She’s been stalking you on Facebook. She’s a friend. From Bellingham. She’s really cute.” He showed me her picture. She was really cute. “She’s coming down to visit for New years’ Eve and she wants to meet you.”
I was skeptical because I’d been in long distance relationships before. I wasn’t interested in another one, but, he gave me her number anyway. We could always discuss the logistics of where to live later on.

I called her a couple of nights later. I was making steak. She told me she was a vegetarian. This was about the only thing we didn’t have in common. We both had black female dogs with curled tails, we had both been married to the wrong person for far too long, we both had three siblings (though I am the oldest and she is the youngest.), and we both thought the other was cute. These are important things. We also had in common the fact that we didn’t like the telephone.
We talked for six hours.


We decided to meet and, since she had friends here (not just Nicky and his wife but her best friend, Nicole, and her husband Dan) there was less pressure if there was no chemistry. There was also no stranger danger, since we’d both been vouched for. I picked her up around noon on New Year’s Eve from Portland’s Union Station, and our mutual affection for trains began, as well as our mutual affection for each other. I spotted her first. She was outside the station, looking really cute, though, sadly, I’m not good at remembering what she was wearing. I know it was cute though. When she turned around and saw me, she smiled and said “Oh, you’re so cute!” which, turns out, is one of my favorite things to have said to me.
We went to one of my friend’s houses that evening, me in my footie pajamas, her in something cute. We were inseparable. We even went to Karaoke later that weekend, and she watched me perform my staples, Bye Bye Bye by N Sync and Gin and Juice by Snoop Doggy Dogg. I’d like to think she fell in love with me then, though she claims it was much earlier.
In April, she moved to Portland, in July, I proposed to her, spontaneously in the laundry room (I drew a ring on her finger with a sharpie) and, on August 20th, in Nicole’s back yard with eight of our closest friends and four dogs, we were married, in an 80's themed wedding.
It’s only been a year, but it seems like I’ve always known her. She always says we were made for each other.
I have to agree.


View the original here. Includes lots of pictures and videos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Turn or Burn?