God is in Control




Psalm 91
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High

    will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

This I declare about the Lord:

He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;

    he is my God, and I trust him.
For he will rescue you from every trap
    and protect you from deadly disease.
He will cover you with his feathers.
    He will shelter you with his wings.
    His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
    nor the arrow that flies in the day.
Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
    nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
Though a thousand fall at your side,
    though ten thousand are dying around you,
    these evils will not touch you.
Just open your eyes,
    and see how the wicked are punished.

If you make the Lord your refuge,

    if you make the Most High your shelter,

10 no evil will conquer you;

    no plague will come near your home.

11 For he will order his angels
    to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
    so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
    you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!

14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.

    I will protect those who trust in my name.

15 When they call on me, I will answer;

    I will be with them in trouble.

    I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life
    and give them my salvation.”




Mark 16:17-18

17 These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages.18 They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.”

(Courtesy of the Living Bible)


I've been calling myself an agnostic Christian for awhile. What I mean by that is that I love Jesus, God the Holy Spirit, but I don't like Christianity. Unfairly or not, the fact that when people see Christians they often see people who hate homosexuals, who voted for George Bush, who want to sell the Truth of God for a quick buck. I don't want that. I want to Truth of Jesus. I want His words to permeate my life. His words to love one another and to love God. To feed the hungry. Help the sick. To resist religious hypocrisy.

Those two passages hit me today. I'm a man who's faith wavered but is now returning. My wife and I are going through some trying times (not with each other.) and we need to completely rely on the LORD in this situation. This is not natural for me. I'm a prideful, self sufficient man. To get on my knees and completly surrender and admit to God that I have no control over the situation and am completely reliant on Him and His grace. God is my crutch. People can mock that if they want, but I know I need God and it gives me comfort to know that someone is looking out for me.

I understand not everyone believes in God. I can see their arguments and I respect their beliefs. I need to believe in God and I hope that that need is respected by those that don't share my belief. In the shower, as the water cascaded down my body, I felt and heard God. I felt His peace and comfort come over me. 

These passages promise God's protection on those who believe. Whatever that means in this situation, I don't know. But God does. He knows what's best. He'll take care of me. It's in my nature to worry. Maybe it's because I'm the oldest child and I'm protective by nature. but I don't need to worry. God is in control.

This situation didn't work out in the way I'd hoped... but that doesn't mean it didn't work out. God sees the big picture. He sees the future and the past, along with the present. He's in control. I don't have to be.

Comments

  1. Dear Justin,
    This comment should come with a warning...being that it may be lengthy. lol
    I knew there was something that drew me to you. Not only are you close to my oldest sons age, but your spirit and the way you think resounds like a loud beating drum in my heart. I believe so much towards Christianity as you.
    Saying all that let me start by saying I am a worrier too by nature, the once wild one of the family, and the oldest child.
    So many times I have been given situations, making me learn to lean totally on our Father. Sadly, it is a lesson that I have not learned completely even at 52 and have had to repeat. BUT...I am getting better.
    I don't run around the boat when it is in the storm screaming my head off, crying, pleading, begging..WE ARE GOING TO SINK! I now take a more peaceful approach. It may be due to my age.
    I just get up and pace, look over board at the tremendous storm, wake up others, saying "hey look at the storm..uh..it looks bad, what do you think we should do"
    But every time... I finally end up going to the main source Jesus. It may take me a minute but I always end up there.
    In his loving way, he shakes his head...as if to say.."yep she's my daughter..the crazy one that used to run around the boat but I will take care of her anyway."
    You are so right...there is always a plan B which was Gods plan A all along.
    You and your precious wife will be in my thoughts and prayers, knowing Gods provision is waiting for you.
    Love and God bless,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmie,

      thanks for sharing your story. I think life is about figuring things out. I think if you know everything, life gets boring :-) It's always nice to hear from you. 52? You don't look a day over 30 ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great post. Have faith and never let go of it and the Lord will guide you every step of the way. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jazzy! I appreciate your comment

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Last Train to Belingham