Nearing the End




My wife and I have chosen not to have kids. I won't get into all the reasons for this, because it's very personal and no one's business but our ours. nonetheless, we consider ourselves parents. Of dogs. Folks that have biological children to care for perhaps don't understand this, but,we love our dogs as much as a we would love a human child. They are our babies.

The unfortunate part of being a dog parent is that you are, in all likelihood, going to outlive your child. Parents of human children generally aren't going to experience this, and this puts pet parents in a unique and terrible position. Every ten or fifteen years, they will go through a grief cycle over the loss of their child. Each time rips your heart out, but you take comfort in new dogs to love and care for and in being able to share that grief with others.






Our thirteen year old chow mix, Baby, was diagnosed yesterday with renal disease. Last September, she underwent major surgery to remove a tumor from her chest. She was placed on pain medication and the vet informed us that it would likely destroy her kidney and liver function in the next year or so, and we had to make a choice. the pain medication would likely shorten her life, but also give her a better quality of life while she was alive. We opted for the better quality, which was right decision.

Her liver has been bad for months and now, her kidneys appear to be non functional. Her urine has the consistency of water. She's had explosive diarrhea for nearly a week. The end is near.

She's currently on food designed to curtail the diarrhea and seems to be doing better. After that she will begin a regimen of food designed to stem the tide of renal failure. Renal disease cannot be cured without a new kidney and, quite frankly, it would be foolhardy to perform that kind of operation on a thirteen year old dog, especially one that has already exceeded her life span.

The vet gave us six to twelve months, and probably closer to six. She could realistically pass any time. We just want to manage her pain until she tells us it's time to pass. She still has joy in her face and loves to eat. these are good signs. but, she's not allowed to eat anything except her medicated food. She loves the food, but she's used to getting treats and variety in her diet. This lack of variety could become a quality of life issue very quickly. She's also been in diapers to take care of her urinary incontinence for about a year.

When that time comes, we're going to put her down and have her cremated. We're going to scatter her ashes on the beach. She loved the beach and we're hoping to take her to the beach one more time before we put her down. It's where she's happiest.

We hope she has six months. We hope she has a year. We hope we never have to lose her. But, Jesus probably wants to spend time with her. I take comfort in imagining her sitting with Jesus, Him scratching behind her ears and that favorite spot on her rump. Baby eating all the grapes and steak her little heart desires, and living a pain free existence.

I know I shouldn't be grieving someone who's still with us, but I certainly write this with a heavy heart. The tears have flown freely. It's been healthy. And terrible.



Comments

  1. You brought tears to my eyes. I understand how tears can be healthy and terrible at once. I love the expression on Baby's face in that last picture. I agree with everything you say about being a dog (and cats, in my case) parent. You love them like a child and it rips you apart when they die. I imagine my pets with Jesus, too. I think Baby will be waiting for you. Take comfort in that, my friend. Thanks for sharing this. It's good for you as well as for others who are grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Justin, I feel your hurt. At least you will get a proper goodbye and grieving period. A lot of folks, me included, didn't.... She is a good dog. Someday when you heal from her loss I'm sure you will find another companion to love just as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. Although waiting is both a blessing and a curse :-(

      Delete
  3. Thanks Vicki. it's tough but the joy and love they bring is worth it. I also believe animals can communicate with us and I was talking to baby last night and told her that when she gets to heaven, my granpda, my uncle Dale and His dog Gunnar, along with my dog Cocoa would be waiting for her. I also gave her permission to tell us when she wanted to go. Pictures always do me in, whether it's a slide show or a photo album, at a funeral or putting together a blog... pictures always make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tabby cat Amy was already old when I adopted her from the safe Haven in September 2008. She was sick for the last 18 months of her life and the closer it got to her death the more overwhelming the situation was for me as I live alone and thus was the only one available at night. I mourned her for the final year she was alive before she finally had a stroke and I had her put down last month at home.

    I have another cat now, but I think the exhaustion I had with Amy's last 6 months in particular is still with me and my three year old short hair is a bit too feral for me at this point. She wants to attack play far too often for me. I probably should have waited longer to get another cat, but this was a special situation where Emma needed s ho,me right away and couldn't be in a home with any other pets. Nearly seven weeks late rand I'm still not over Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mourned Amy long before she died-she was old when I adopted her, although not sick, in September 2008. It has been nearly seven weeks since she died and I have a new at, but I am still not over her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Flora for sharing. Shared grief often makes things easier. I actually got baby a month after my previous dog, Cocoa, passed away. I've grieved a lot for Baby already, but I also want to enjoy her remaining time with me, whether that's days or months. it sucks to see them go, but it's so nice ot be able to share our love with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin,

      My heart is breaking. I am so sorry to hear that Baby illness is terminal.

      I love the picture of her with the bicycle helmet.

      I am keeping Baby, your wife and you in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  7. My prayers are with you and your sweet family. Such a hard time..
    Love,
    Sunnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a dog parent myself, and I love my Max as much as I would a child. Max is almost twelve and I had him, since he was just a few weeks old when I rescued him from a homeless life in Greece. He is my very best friend and has brought me so much joy, but I know that we probably do not have much time left together and it breaks my heart. Baby has been so fortunate to have had such a wonderful long life in a home with so much love. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful family at this most difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Sannel. your support means a lot. She's been doing really well the last few weeks, but, she's gotten obviously older in the last few months, so, it's inevitable. We just want to make her final earthly time wonderful; no matter how long that's going to be!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Last Train to Belingham