Welcome to 2015.. .Let's get this year started write.

Welcome to 2015!

I trust that you all had a safe and happy new year and a wonderful holiday season. I know I did. One of the best ever in fact. I was honored to host my siblings (my brother and sister-in-law visiting from Chicago, my sister visiting from Seattle and my other brother whom just moved back from California.), my mother, my maternal grandparents and my aunt. It was my first time hosting my favorite holiday and, while we did have some Griswoldian moments (Our Christmas tree fell down), overall, it went off without too many hitches.

But, with the conclusion of Christmas comes the new year, and all of its promises of fresh starts. I make resolutions each year and, like most of us, I have abandoned them by February 1st. Will this year be any different? I have no idea, but I'll resolve to keep my resolutions this year.

I have personal and vocational goals which will stay with my spouse and employer respectively but, with you, my friends and readers, my writing goals are of most interest and are what I would like to share.

About a week or so ago, I saw a photo on my friend Geoffrey's page about a challenge to write a story a week. For part time writers with full time writing aspirations, this is a lofty goal and one that would likely not be accomplished without accountability.  So, after speaking with Geoffrey, we have agreed to be each other's Beta readers for the year.

But I'm not just a story writer. I'm also a poet, an essayist and an aspiring novelist (in fact, I have been working on my first novel since 2008!) so I will modify the challenge  to meet my specific writing needs.

So, here is my challenge to you, my friends and readers;

Each Friday beginning with January ninth, I will submit to my beta readers either one short story, one poem, one essay or one novel chapter. This challenge will also include finish unfinished and long abandoned projects. So long as I submit SOMETHING to my beta readers each Friday, I will consider my resolution a success. I don't need fully polished and edited work... that's in part what my beta readers are for. The main thing is, I need to write, write, WRITE!

Wish me luck and join me if you want (as a writer or beta reader). It should be a fun journey.

Cheers

Justin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Turn or Burn?