Reactions to First Time being Published

One of my short stories, Lime Green Buddha, was published in efiction magazine's latest (February 2012) issue. They're also publishing one of my poems in the March issue. I just read my own story in a publication that I had no control over for the first time and it was a surreal experience.

I couldn't turn the critic in me off. I found one typo that neither me nor the editor caught and it threw me off guard. i also found one or two small edits that the editor did that worked but also seemed odd. I haven't had anyone else edit my work for publication prior to now.
I'm grateful and excited to be published, even if it was for a pittance, because I love the exposure and I want to read my work in publications all the time. I suppose that's the dream of any writer.
But, I thought I'd enjoy reading it, and I didn't. I was self conscious and critical. I imagine those feelings will change as I get used to seeing my work in different fonts and sizes then I wrote them in, but tonight, it was strange.

Meanwhile, if you're a reader or writer of indie fiction, I strongly urge you to check out efiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Powell is In Hell

The dark truth about Jonah (part three)

Turn or Burn?